Thursday, March 18, 2021

Whaddaya Reckon?

I've been ten years out of Australia now and realise that the word 'reckon' is the one that confuses most other non-antipodean English speakers.

It just means 'think' or 'consider' in a more casual sense but instead of saying, "I think we should have chicken for dinner tonight," we Aussies say "I reckon a roast chook would be pretty good."

Our daughter Carly, arrived in Switzerland at twelve years old and went to an international school with friends owning a lot of different accents and backgrounds.  Now nearly twenty two years old, Carly is partly Swiss, a bit Aussie and in her third year of living and studying in Scotland.  When we facetime each other, she often points out that my Aussie accent and colloquialisms are much stronger than Dean's, despite the fact we both went to country high schools in the same state..

But today, I want to ask youse all something.  Whaddaya reckon about me starting a wee YouTube account featuring me in my Dog Walking Lady-clothed finery, sharing a few not particularly earth shattering (but certainly) true escapades, opinions or bravely revealed personal embarrassments?

Whaddaya reckon?  I'd really like your feedback.  You see, I love writing.  I write serious stuff for a 'living' but 'living' in reality is that Dean has the job that keeps us housed, fed, clothed, educated (Carly) and healthy and I get a bit of freelance stuff that I'm inordinately grateful for and then hate myself for having to politely submit my invoice, wait over a month to get paid and then overthank them for it.  To say that I contribute financially through writing is akin to letting a hedgehog hold the balloons.  Maybe I should just enjoy the opportunity to do it rather than consume my soul in anxiety about not being a contributor financially. (That's a topic often discussed with my psychiatrist).  I reckon that last sentence has lowered the mood a bit!

On a more positive level, writing and talking seem to be a similar thing in my world.  My family are bored to tears hearing my stories over and over, and the mundane or weird ones that I write about on Medium or here aren't ones that they're going to rush to read.  I'm Kath/Mum after all: they see enough of me when I shower with the door open to let the steam out or when I start ranting about 4WD owners who don't have roof racks or two bars and just use them to pick up their kids.

Very quietly, I've had a YouTube account for a few years and only used it to share some old Milly clips and two of Felix. It is, to put it charitably, very neglected and rarely watched.  Not unlike my attitude towards my personal grooming regime.

To start us off, I'll share this one of Felix with you now.  It was posted a few months back but will only take a little over a minute of your time to watch and hopefully end up with a smile.  This Spanish shelter dog that we adopted at three-and-a-half years old literally jumps for joy when it is his dinner time.


That was filmed in October and he STILL performs the same enthusiastic and energetically joyful dance for his evening meal.  Breakfast is different because Dean takes him out for a walk and I fill up Felix's bowl ready for his return. His reaction is to slide around the corner at sonic speed while skidding on the black and white mats, madly skitter around the kitchen bench to inhale his crunchies before I can say 'Hello there, Mr Speckles, how was your walk...."

You can see that I'm avoiding talking about my own old bonce being on YouTube.  I'm not famous, nor a stand up, an endearing animal or a public performer and never have been.  The world needs youth, intelligence, glamour, useful tips and not a 52 year old who still laughs when she sees French shower caps labelled 'douche bonnets.' 

It's Dean's fault, really.  He's known for saying "I love you" at the precise moment when I'm doubled over emptying the kitchen flip top bin under the sink so that only my grey marle tracksuited arse is in his vision, so he's not one for inane compliments or promising me a rose garden.

It was a genuine surprise when admitted to me that he had been reading my old blog back in the day but is also now reading the ones on Medium and right here.  I even teared up a little. He said that he reckons I could try and say 'em out loud, like a short stand up on YouTube.  

Firstly, I ain't short and secondly, the idea of stand up scares the undigested corn kernels out of me.  Vanity isn't something that would be ascribed to me, I don't think, but there's a tiny little 'give it a go, what have you got to lose' voice that sometimes emerges from behind the cacophony of self-doubt.  What if I simplified things a bit and sat down, in my normal clothes, in my own house, and just chatted for a bit?  Would that work, you reckon?

Obviously I'll need to learn how to edit and cut out the erms and ahhhhhs and incessant playing with my glasses.  But maybe we could all have a laugh at an old gal that will try not to take up too much of your time but make you feel glad to be you and not her?

If you could feel the nervous sweat and the red heat of embarrassment on my face as I'm writing this, waiting for the YouTube video to be uploaded, then try multiplying it by one hundred.  It's my first attempt at sit down.  It was done off the cuff and quite rightly needs to be tightened and better edited.  My hands are shaking.

But it's time to give it a go I reckon. I really truly would like your feedback, bad, good or indifferent.  I'm more than happy to stick to the occasional blog and keep my face of YouTube if the world truly doesn't need it.


Honesty is appreciated, but please be kind about it.  There ain't much I can do with this face!

8 comments:

  1. I LOVE those jumps for joy. I am also glad that you popped pine cones in your handbag rather than the alternative.
    A friend of ours would certainly empathise with you. The one and only walk with him and his dog that I shared was punctuated with a chorus of DON'T EAT SHIT. His dog didn't listen to him. The rest of the street did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes! My constant plea is 'Felix, SNIFF it, don't EAT it!'

      Delete
  2. Poor Felix is clearly starving to death. The second video is fine and suits my attention span.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andrew. If you knew what Felix ate every day - not including his 'official' food, you'd be horrified. Let's just say that his digestive system is such that he 'backs out a Trump' FIVE TIMES A DAY.

      Delete
  3. I did get a good giggle from "poo buffet" and now I'm imagining what Felix's breath must smell like. I laughed at him jumping for his dinner too and wonder if someone taught him that trick with the reward of course being the food. He's not part "springer" spaniel is he? I imagine dog walking for me would be the dog racing off into the wild blue yonder while I gamely hang on and get dragged behind. Hopefully not through poo. So, Honesty? perhaps a little "lift" in your voice? A giggle or laugh now and then?
    More honesty? I'm so glad to see and hear you. I recently read right through your old blog again, before I found you on Medium.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear River. I think you noticed immediately that I was nervous and not very animated - maybe a GnT before hand? Seriously though, I'll work at the monologues and pausing at the right times. As for Felix, he's a Spanish rescue but considered their native official breed. A Bodeguero Ratonero Andalus, or essential a ratter from Andalus. He loves sproinging along the edge of the path and then literally dive down into a mousehole. He doesn't seem to have the killer instinct but clearly enjoys scaring 'em to death!

      Delete
  4. G'Day Kath,

    Yes - you made me chuckle so just go for it, I reckon (Poms say that too). Walking the dog is something I haven't done since I had a dog as a kid but, yes, I remember their need to sniff and eat the deposits of other dogs and rolling in it (why do they do that?).

    If I didn't hate public speaking so much, I might consider doing it too

    :o)

    Cheers

    PM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Plasman. That means a lot coming from you. I hate public speaking as well, so I thought that sitting down in front of my iphone might make things easier.... You SHOULD do it too!

      Delete

The fifty year old family secret

My mother made it clear in so many ways that she loved her children, but she could also be rather blunt. “All three of you were funny lookin...