Monday, February 8, 2021

Remembering Milly

Readers of my previous blog blurbfromtheburbs might remember that we adopted Milly from a refuge in the Adelaide hills in South Australia in 2004.

On the 6th of July 2019, she died in France.


Not a single day has gone by where I don't almost hear her snoring in the other room, smell her furry cornchip-smelling paws as she habitually snoozed at my feet or sometimes use her name on someone else.

As for her final day......
My husband LC* reminded me that I had fulfilled my promise to her. Milly was not going to feel more frightened and confused as her world shrank due to increasing pain, deafness and blindness.
It was an honor to have been part of her family. Knowing that she returned our love a thousandfold was so humbling it amazed me every single day I woke up and every single time she held my gaze. Who else do we greet with a heartfelt 'HELLLOOOOOO SWEETIE' than our dear dogs each and every time we see them? Certainly no human.

I slept beside her bed on the floor of the living room on her final night, wanting for the millionth time to nuzzle her sweet face and to stroke her velvety back.
In the morning, LC and I gently stroked her, kissed her, booped her nose on behalf of Sapphire* and whispered that we would do our very best to respect her. Our beautiful darling dog deserved to be happy and without pain.
The vet’s eyes filled with tears just as ours had. Milly’s final moments went so fast but I know that she heard my whispered endearments and thank yous and we held eye contact right to the end.

Despite the tears, LC, Sapphire and I are so thankful. Thankful to have found her - this wondrous, indeterminate origin, eighty dollar shelter dog - and to have loved her for over fifteen years.

* LC - Love Chunks (husband)
* Sapphire - daughter. Currently at university

4 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear this, Kath. We lost both of our cats in the last year or two. We had to put Poppy to sleep and it was very upsetting. Jasper had been poorly for a while so it was less of a trauma - only slightly though.

    We have two new kittens now - a big black male called Ziggy and a smaller feisty female called Star (dust - if Mrs PM let's me get away with it).

    Cheers

    PM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, PlasMan. It hurt like hell - still does - but it’s worth it. Milly gave me so very much for fifteen years and I’m so grateful that she did.

      Delete
  2. I think bloggers who have pet deaths get to me even more than human bloggers who die, not that I've had many of them, but I have had a lot of pet deaths, each as moving as the last and the next will be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed. It's facebook that regularly punches my heart as it serves up those 'remember when' flashbacks and so many of them feature Milly. That Felix is just as lovable is a confusing but wonderful outcome. Milly would have HATED him yet he would have worn himself out trying to impress her!

      Delete

The fifty year old family secret

My mother made it clear in so many ways that she loved her children, but she could also be rather blunt. “All three of you were funny lookin...